Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Holiday Recap

Happy New Year!!! 

The other day I wrote a post called "The Down Side" about having a rough day in Mom-land, followed by one called "The Up Side" where I gain a little perspective after venting for a half hour.  I decided that I should hold off on posting The Down Side for a few days, though...felt like my first post of the new year should be more positive.  Sooo, I'll start with a little Christmas recap - try to put a little skip in my step this first week of 2012.  (Really, though, I'm so tired I feel like my shoes are filled with lead so putting a skip in my step is more of an idea than it is any sort of reality today.) 

It was so incredibly fun watching Douglas as he learned about Christmas.  One day, he sat at the kitchen table and sang "Happ Birfday Jesuus!  Happ Birfday Shiny Reindeer!!"  It's confusing sometimes - all the stories tend to run together.  He still walks around saying "little drummer boyee!?" whenever he wants to play his drums - he IS the little drummer boy.  Few things are more precious than him walking around singing "parum pum pum! Parum pum pum!" over and over.


We had a lovely Christmas with most of my family in Texas.  My sister and her sweet family weren't there, and we really missed them.  The whole family stood around the computer and skyped with them in CA on Christmas night.  This picture cracks me up because there is a baby under that Santa hat - my baby!!...the picture that followed this one was of Aunt Heather saving him.


Douglas loves his cousin Elizabeth (Buh-beth) and she loves Douglas (Dou-las). 


There were so many beautiful, fun, festive moments. 


There was a breakfast-for-dinner picnic by the tree followed by a Brother Snuggle which is a new fan favorite.


Although in this pic Timon looks rather unimpressed...usually he's giggling when this happens.


And a festive holiday light/North Pole display in Grapevine, TX complete with a set-to-music light display that was super impressive.  The night ended with a dance party in the gazebo in town square with a million lights flashing around us and Christmas classics blaring over the speakers.  No doubt some little kid just started dancing up there and it prompted a full-blown Christmas rave with lots of tiny little dancing munchkins and their families.  SO FUN.

Check out Elizabeth in the background - cracks me up

There was Turkey smoking, thanks to my brother, Jeremy.


And holiday decorations at The Gaylord hotel - Douglas just stood there with his finger pointed and moved his hand all around, mouth wide open, because there were endless things he wanted to point at in awe and wonder.


My mom did an amazing job decorating the house, as always.  That is one of many, many ways that she has always made Christmas such a special time.  I am grateful for her countless hours of work to get the house to look so incredible. 

We had a Christmas Eve fireside reading of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas.


Douglas decided that night that he was afraid of Santa.  I don't blame him.  I mean, when you're that little and just learning all of this stuff, it would be a little freaky to hear before bedtime that some strange man is going to come down your chimney into your house while you're sleeping!  I explained to him that Santa is happy and jolly and kind.  He looked at me and said, "jolly happy soul?"  Yes.  That's right.  Just like Frosty, Santa is a jolly, happy soul.  He must have gotten over his fear, because a few days later, he frantically said multiple times "Santa, hold you!" when he was afraid of the duct-cleaning men in our house.  Yesterday he couldn't get the lid to his smoothie to open, so he said "Santa help you." I think the fact that Santa brought him this sweet tent and tunnel might have something to do with him getting over his fear!


It was so fun to watch Douglas and Timon being loved and treasured by my family - they always are, but somehow the backdrop of twinkly lights and Bring Crosby makes it all the more beautiful.



Elizabeth trying on the hat that I made for her, complete with interchangeable flowers - HOLLAH!  And, yes, I do know that that flower is half the size of her head, but, people, believe me, this Texas Bow-head can handle it - this isn't even big for her!
 
Douglas absolutely loves being around family.  There were several times when I looked at him and saw his face filled with sheer joy.  The mixture of family and music and dancing and special activities and talk of Christmas was enough to make him nearly burst with happiness...for hours at a time.  It was seriously magical to watch.

I hope your Christmas was filled with a little magic of your own - or buckets full.  Happy, happy New Year.  Here's to new beginnings - ones that are filled with hope.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...